Posted on 4 Comments

How to stress a Mummy out in 5 easy steps.

There was nothing fun about Wednesday, not that my life HAS to be fun every day, but it helps.  In fact, I was feeling like life was rather on top of me, photos needed sorting and editing, emails needed writing, kids needed loving and the housework needed some serious attention before one of us stuck to the floor for good.  I figured I’d very much like to resign from something.  I’m not even sure what it is I was wanting to resign from, except perhaps the housework, because, well, who lives for that?  I didn’t know where I would send the resignation letter to, so I just sucked it up and carried on, ignoring the floor that needed scrubbing and promising the kids that we’d do fun stuff some time soon… 

At about 1am that morning we awoke to a scream and ran to our son‘s side to find that he was in the middle of a seizure.  Pretty well the most scared I’ve ever been in my life, I called out “call 111!”  After what seemed like about 75 hours he stopped shaking (ok, probably 1 minute?) and was totally unresponsive, but breathing.  Suddenly something so simple, like my child breathing, became the most important thing in the world.

The ambulance took us to hospital where he would have another four seizures in the following 12 hours.  No one knew what was wrong.  He didn’t have a temperature and wasn’t sick before that.  That afternoon we went via ambulance over to Nelson Hospital where he underwent every test known to man, CT Scan, MRI, Lumbar Puncture, you name it.  Everything came back clear.  Seems that nothing was wrong with him.  Far out, sometimes NOTHING is rather terrifying.  Although I was rather pleased we weren’t looking at a brain tumour! 

We stayed in hospital until the following Tuesday, as he slowly started to get back to normal, and then came home.  Just like that, came home.  No one could say what was wrong with Sam, and apart from being rather tired and missing several bits of his memory from the last year or so, he’s all good.  So we’re none the wiser, but the whole episode sure did remind me about what’s really important in life. 

Thanks to everyone who has been patient with us the last couple of weeks, we’ve had to reschedule shoots, and keep people waiting that bit longer for their photos.  Thank you all SO so much for your understanding.  We’re back into it now, trying hard to get caught up again. 

And because I have to post SOME kind of photo – this is the ambulance at my house in the middle of the night.  Although I only had my cell phone on me, I still took a photo (can’t help being a photographer!)


Tomorrow I’ll have some happier blog posts to share – so there’s more pretty photos coming, promise!

4 thoughts on “How to stress a Mummy out in 5 easy steps.

  1. Sorry to hear you all had to go through that. Hope it doesn’t happen again.

  2. So so glad he is ok. That would have been so scary.

  3. Wow… I can’t imagine how horrific that must have been. All I can say is thank goodness little Sammy is ok and he’s so lucky to have such level headed, competent and fantastic parents in you two! XOXO

  4. Hugs – that would have been freaky! Good that we have a God that is in control when we aren’t!

Leave a Reply